Malcolm Reynolds Costume

My next instalment for Sew Geeky's Episode 7: Geek Spectacular

Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly and Serenity

This is one costume I have wanted to make forever...and I was about crafting a little baby Mal for Atticus but I thought it might be fun to make my dream come true...in costume form...and then once Atticus can walk and tote a toy gun he can have one too!


The finished costume is a mix of handmade and found elements. I was lucky - I only had to go to two op-shops to get the main clothes - the first gave me the perfect shirt + pants and the second gave me gloves and my Browncoat!



Shirt and Gloves
Thrifted


Pants
Thrifted and adapted!

I removed the belt loops, added the buttons for the suspenders and added the brown stripe down each side.


Belt
Borrowed from the husband's wardrobe.

Browncoat
Thrifted - the buttons were missing / falling off so I replaced them all with a new set!

Suspenders/Braces
Button suspenders handmade using brown elastic and vinyl. I used THIS super easy tutorial which I will use again when I have to make some mini-suspenders!


Holster
I pieced this together around the gun using scraps of vinyl. I tried to find some brown leather bags to re-purpose but couldn't find any that would work. If I had my time over I would get more vinyl and craft it bigger and better! I hand-stitched it as my machine was not getting through 2-3 layers of vinyl!



Boots
I used my own light brown boots and used two applications of olive oil to darken them.

During, before...

...and after!

Gun
This amazing gun was crafted by my husband from 3 plastic toy guns! And will now need it's own display case and pride of place in my room!

Before 

During 

 After

We also took the opportunity to take a Fillion Family Portrait dressed up as our favourite Nathan Fillion characters!





Comments

  1. You're amazing and your husband rocks! I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so great! oh man, the little "writer" vest, hahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your costume turned out awesome!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Teach Me Tuesday last week. You are very much appreciated. Starting this week, we will no longer be visiting you, instead we will be pinning each and every link. We want to give you more exposure! Hope to see you again this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Malcolm Reynolds costume, complete with the iconic Malcolm reynolds coat, represents a fusion of rugged individualism and futuristic styling, embodying the adventurous spirit of the beloved "Firefly" character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts